Advertisement
  • HOME
  • BREAKING NEWS
  • OPINION
  • INTERVIEWS
  • BOOK REVIEW
  • FEATURES
  • HEALTH
  • HUMAN RIGHTS
    • Child Rights
    • Climate Justice
    • Death In Custody
    • Death Penalty
    • Disability
    • Disappearances
    • Environment
    • Extra-Judicial Executions
    • Justice
    • Labour
    • Pre-trial Detention
    • Prison Reform
    • SOGI
    • Torture
    • Women Rights
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • INVESTIGATIONS
  • MEDIA
    • Documents
    • Infographics
    • Photos
    • Video
  • OPPORTUNITIES
  • SPECIAL INVESTIGATION
  • ABOUT US
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • BREAKING NEWS
  • OPINION
  • INTERVIEWS
  • BOOK REVIEW
  • FEATURES
  • HEALTH
  • HUMAN RIGHTS
    • Child Rights
    • Climate Justice
    • Death In Custody
    • Death Penalty
    • Disability
    • Disappearances
    • Environment
    • Extra-Judicial Executions
    • Justice
    • Labour
    • Pre-trial Detention
    • Prison Reform
    • SOGI
    • Torture
    • Women Rights
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • INVESTIGATIONS
  • MEDIA
    • Documents
    • Infographics
    • Photos
    • Video
  • OPPORTUNITIES
  • SPECIAL INVESTIGATION
  • ABOUT US
No Result
View All Result
Nigerian Observatory For Human Rights
No Result
View All Result
Home NEWS

Bayelsa Community Leaders Petition Authorities Over Alleged Armed Invasions, Threats Linked to Black-Sand Mining Dispute

Editor by Editor
August 21, 2026
in NEWS
0
Bayelsa Community Leaders Petition Authorities Over Alleged Armed Invasions, Threats Linked to Black-Sand Mining Dispute
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Community leaders in Bilabiri, a community in the Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, have petitioned state and federal security authorities over alleged armed invasions of the community, threats to lives and property, and allegations of illegal black-sand mining on land the community claims as its own.

The petition, filed through the community’s lawyers, was addressed to the Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, and copied to the Assistant Inspector-General of Police, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), the Joint Task Force (JTF), the Governor of Bayelsa State, the Senior Special Assistant on Security to the governor, and other relevant security agencies.

According to the petition, the trouble began on August 17, 2026, when roughly 12 men arrived in Bilabiri by speedboat from the neighbouring Amatu II Community. The petitioners identified some of the men as Mr. Man Job, Fine-Boy Job, and Ebiyekon Timakawei, alleging they were accompanied by four unidentified individuals dressed in NSCDC uniforms. The group was allegedly armed with sophisticated weapons, including two General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs), a G3 rifle, and AK-47 rifles. The petition claims the men patrolled the community waterfront while singing war songs and firing shots sporadically, sending residents fleeing in panic.

The men reportedly forced their way further into the community and, at one of its jetties, allegedly declared they had been sent by a Paramount Ruler, Chief Ibane Joel Ekeni, to “wipe out” Bilabiri. The petitioners further allege the men claimed to have undergone spiritual “war protection” rituals they believed would shield them from harm while carrying out the threat, a claim the community says deepened fears among residents already alarmed by the presence of firearms.

The petition traces the unrest to a dispute over alleged illegal black-sand mining on land known as Agoliyo, or Bilabiri-Ilaje, which the community says belongs to it. Community leaders say they had previously asked those involved in the mining to halt operations peacefully, but allege this was met with intimidation instead of compliance.

The petitioners say the armed group left after about an hour on August 17 but returned roughly 30 minutes later, allegedly warning that Bilabiri residents would be “wiped out” if they continued to resist the mining activities. The petition alleges a further incident on August 19, 2026, at around 2pm, when the same individuals and their associates returned to the waterfront, this time in two speedboats. The group allegedly fired shots again and repeated threats against the community, including alleged threats to kidnap community leaders.

The petition calls for a comprehensive investigation into the identities of all those involved, the alleged possession and use of firearms, the reported death and kidnap threats, and the underlying black-sand mining dispute. It also urges security agencies to take preventive measures to stop further incursions and protect residents.

Community leaders warned that failure to act promptly could result in loss of life, kidnapping, arson, attempted murder, or a broader communal conflict.

Tags: Balyelsabilabiri
Previous Post

Maryam Shehu Remanded to Prison Over Alleged ‘Cyberbullying’ of EFCC, Days Before Final Exams

Editor

Editor

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Us on Social Media

Facebook Twitter Youtube
  • About
  • Contact

Ⓒ2022 All Rights Reserved By  NIGERIAN OBSERVATORY FOR HUMAN RIGHTS.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • BREAKING NEWS
  • OPINION
  • INTERVIEWS
  • BOOK REVIEW
  • FEATURES
  • HEALTH
  • HUMAN RIGHTS
    • Child Rights
    • Climate Justice
    • Death In Custody
    • Death Penalty
    • Disability
    • Disappearances
    • Environment
    • Extra-Judicial Executions
    • Justice
    • Labour
    • Pre-trial Detention
    • Prison Reform
    • SOGI
    • Torture
    • Women Rights
  • INTERNATIONAL
  • INVESTIGATIONS
  • MEDIA
    • Documents
    • Infographics
    • Photos
    • Video
  • OPPORTUNITIES
  • SPECIAL INVESTIGATION
  • ABOUT US

© 2022 All Rights Reserved by Nigerian Observatory For Human Rights

Dark Mode